Re: Optimizing for what? Was Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-09-07 21:21:45

On Sep 7, 2010, at 8:41 PM, Ross Callon wrote:

It's my sense that it's increasingly difficult to do
work in the IETF without being physically present at
meetings, as well...

I think that this has been true since the first IETF (at least if you replace
the word "increasingly" with the word "very"). I also think that this is true
of other standards groups that I have attended. If you attend a long string
of meetings, you can probably miss one, send in a contribution, and people
that you know might take it seriously. However, to have impact you need to
make a habit of showing up at nearly every meeting (IMHO).

That's generally been my experience also, both when I was attending IETF
regularly and since.

Part of why this is true may be that working group meetings are pretty nearly
useless (especially if, as was the case last time I attended, most of the WG
meeting time is devoted toPowerPoint presentations).   Most of the real work
gets done in the hallways, restaurants, and bars.   Even if you can work out
better ways of letting people remotely participate in the meetings, that
doesn't help them contribute to the work that gets done elsewhere.

Keith