RE: Optimizing for what? Was Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-09-07 19:42:47

It's my sense that it's increasingly difficult to do
work in the IETF without being physically present at
meetings, as well...

I think that this has been true since the first IETF (at least if you replace
the word "increasingly" with the word "very"). I also think that this is true
of other standards groups that I have attended. If you attend a long string of
meetings, you can probably miss one, send in a contribution, and people that
you know might take it seriously. However, to have impact you need to make a
habit of showing up at nearly every meeting (IMHO).

Ross
(also speaking with no hats on -- just giving my personal opinion).