Re: Automatically updated Table of Contents with Nroff

2010-12-29 23:11:47
Hi -

From: "Martin Rex" <mrex(_at_)sap(_dot_)com>
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian(_dot_)reschke(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; <barryleiba(_at_)computer(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:25 PM
Subject: Re: Automatically updated Table of Contents with Nroff
I tried to use xml2rfc once and gave up after 3 hours of getting NOWHERE,
not even _running_ xml2rfc.

FWIW, I've never been able to get xml3rfc to run on any of my computers.
Something horrible usually happens in the process of getting the TCL stuff
working. So, I just use the on-line one at http://xml.resource.org/  Getting
groff to run, on the other hand, has been fairly easy on every platform
I've tried.

With most I-Ds you can tell when authors are using xml2rfc instead
of NRoffEdit, because the documents often contain awkward page breaks
positionas within sections such as Authors and References and more
typos.

It's easier to control widows / orphans / page breaks with nroff, but I don't
usually worry about them because I know the RFC editor is going to
fine-tune the layout anyway.

Randy