Re: Automatically updated Table of Contents with Nroff

2010-12-22 13:26:58
On 22.12.2010 18:21, Barry Leiba wrote:
    # empty out toc.input
toc.input
    # run once to get a sample ToC, but page numbers will be off
    nroff file>  /dev/null 2>  toc.input
    # run again to get proper page numbers into toc.input
    nroff file>  /dev/null 2>  toc.input
    # run a 3rd time to get the right output, ignoring stderr this time
    nroff file 2>/dev/null

You know, this whole discussion renews my total puzzlement at why
anyone would use nroff instead of something else... anything else.

Yow!

I know that not everyone likes xml2rfc, but I don't even want to think
about nroff.

Clarifying: the reason why I'm researching is that apparently some people think it would be good to have a replacement for xml2rfc.tcl that *emits* nroff (only - as opposed to plain text/nroff/html as the TCL code does today).

Best regards, Julian