Re: Automatically updated Table of Contents with Nroff

2010-12-28 11:27:23
Barry Leiba wrote:

   # empty out toc.input
toc.input
   # run once to get a sample ToC, but page numbers will be off
   nroff file > /dev/null 2> toc.input
   # run again to get proper page numbers into toc.input
   nroff file > /dev/null 2> toc.input
   # run a 3rd time to get the right output, ignoring stderr this time
   nroff file 2>/dev/null

You know, this whole discussion renews my total puzzlement at why
anyone would use nroff instead of something else... anything else.

Everyone who looks at writing I-Ds should seriously consider looking
at NRoffEdit before deciding which document format and tool to use.

   http://aaa-sec.com/nroffedit/

It is currently the 5th entry in the section "Prepare Documents"
on this page:

 http://tools.ietf.org/

NRoffEdit is an all-in-one wysiwyg tool in Java that maintains
the TOC for you (within the .nroff source itself).

NO need to call nroff on the command line (no seperate nroff tool),
no seperate Editor and no seperate Viewer necessary,
and a spell checker is conveniently included as well.

One nice feature of NRoffEdit is the capability to easily convert
a formatted ASCII I-D or RFC back into nroff authoring format.

-Martin