Re: spec gen tools, was: Automatically updated Table of Contents with Nroff

2010-12-30 03:51:08
But while we're at the topic of *running* xml2rfc: I always advise people to
run it locally;

One problem is that the "default" way of doing references in RFC 2629 XML
appears to perform an online fetch of the reference information for each build,
with no caching whatsoever.  If you do have to look at the ASCII (yes,
sometimes tables etc. need some tweaking), this is a pain.

(My markdown-to-RFC2629 workflow does some caching here, but life becomes
painful again when interacting with XML-only co-authors.)

BTW, if you are on a Mac, get one of the package managers "macports" or
"homebrew", and do

        port install xml2rfc

or

        brew install xml2rfc

Finally, don't run xml2rfc until you need to; to preview while editing, just
use the XSLT and open the XML file in a web browser.

Indeed -- thanks Julian for this wonderful tool.
Get it from <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt.zip>.
Just put the line

  <?xml-stylesheet type='text/xsl' href='rfc2629.xslt' ?>

as the second line of the xml, and open the xml in a browser.
(The only caveat I'm aware of is that you cannot really use the ugly vspace-999
hack for page break tweaks any more.  Good riddance.  Switch to the needLines
PI.  That one appears to be acting a bit strange in xml2rfc, though.  It
usually works for me with <?rfc needLines="30"?>.)

Gruesse, Carsten