spec gen tools, was: Automatically updated Table of Contents with Nroff

2010-12-30 02:37:25
On 30.12.2010 06:31, Doug Ewell wrote:
Martin Rex wrote:

Everyone who looks at writing I-Ds should also seriously consider
xml2rfc. :-)

Only if he is in for a lot of pain and trouble...

I used xml2rfc (the online version, not installing it) to write RFC 4645
and 5646, including numerous drafts, without any significant pain or
difficulty getting the desired results. Then again, I write code for a
living, so writing XML by hand isn't my idea of pain.

We had that discussion before :-); not sure why it got into this thread (which wasn't about preferences, but how to generate what the RFC Production Center wants from xml2rfc source).

But while we're at the topic of *running* xml2rfc: I always advise people to run it locally; it's faster, more easily automated, and gives you better diagnostics. On Windows I use Cygwin (*), which has been running xml2rfc.tcl flawlessly for me for something like the past 7 years.

Finally, don't run xml2rfc until you need to; to preview while editing, just use the XSLT and open the XML file in a web browser.

Best regards, Julian

(*) Martin; yes, upgrading Cygwin is a pain. It's a one-time cost. Many people are on MacOS anyway, where things are even easier, I hear.