Re: subject_prefix on IETF Discuss?

2011-08-05 11:45:31

On Aug 3, 2011, at 7:21 PM, Richard Kulawiec wrote:

-1.

This list complies with RFC 2919, which alleviates the need for the
horrible, unscalable, obsolete, ugly kludge of Subject-line tags.
I suggest that anyone who really, *really* wants them on their copies
of messages arrange to have them added locally (perhaps by procmail or
similar) and not force them on those of us who have chosen mail processing
software that correctly uses List-Id.

Still a little confused how this morphed into a religious war on RFC 2919 /
List-Id.  I *did* mention in the original post that I had been using List-Id to
organize mail -- which would lead to folders with a few thousands of unread
mails, which I would then unceremoniously dump, because it was just too much to
deal with..

Subject-line tags allow me to just drop everything in the inbox and then, at a
glance figure out what to read, and in what order. I then move the read stuff
(and that that I don't care about) into separate mailboxes.

For those who want to do the same (regardless of whether your religious views),
this little bit of procmail woks for me, ymmv:

# Add an [IETF] to messages to the IETF list.
:0 fw
* ^List-Id:[ ].*\<ietf\.ietf\.org\>
|/bin/sed -e 's/^Subject:[ ]*/Subject: [IETF] /'

---rsk