Re: subject_prefix on IETF Discuss?

2011-08-09 12:17:17
Richard Kulawiec wrote:

I don't think it's a religious war: I think it's long since been
demonstrated that RFC 2919 (and 2369) including List-Id are not only
good ideas, but best practices, and that subject-line tags should
be deprecated/avoided/discouraged, because they're just a kludge.

That is, this is an issue of technical merit, not arbitrary whim.
So instead of bringing back the obsolete idea of subject-line tags, we
should instead be encouraging (a) all IETF lists *not* to use them,

-2

list or other distributions which one reads only casually -- there
it saves manual work.

but to
use List-Id et.al. instead (b) all (relevant) mail software providers to
support them and (c) all (relevant) mail server providers to support them.
These mechanisms neatly solve a number of problems, and that better
positions everyone to tackle those that remain.

If one intends to actually *process* close to all of the Emails hitting
one's inbox in near real time, then List-Id:, and any pre-sorting based
on it, will _always_ slow down processing (unless the MUA or the processing
is flawed).

Whereas a subject prefix significantly facilitates tracking of stuff
in a single large inbox.  I'm getting 300+/day Emails and try to read >95%
of it (my company internal Email is completely seperate at ~30/day, though).

-Martin