Re: subject_prefix on IETF Discuss?

2011-08-10 00:00:48
Barry Leiba wrote:

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Martin Rex <mrex(_at_)sap(_dot_)com> wrote:
If one intends to actually *process* close to all of the Emails hitting
one's inbox in near real time, then List-Id:, and any pre-sorting based
on it, will _always_ slow down processing (unless the MUA or the processing
is flawed).

Whereas a subject prefix significantly facilitates tracking of stuff
in a single large inbox.  I'm getting 300+/day Emails and try to read >95%
of it (my company internal Email is completely seperate at ~30/day, though).

This makes no sense to me, Martin.  Please explain why sorting based
on a subject prefix will work, while sorting based on a List-ID header
field will not.

I do not sort EMail at all (my MUA does not support sorting).
subject_prefix _obviates_ sorting.

MUAs typically display the inbox with (status,sender,subject,received-time).

With subject_prefix I can quite easily tell apart discussions from several
IETF mailing lists, and it works with _every_ MUA with default settings.

-Martin