Re: subject_prefix on IETF Discuss?

2011-08-11 10:16:04
On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 07:00:29AM +0200, Martin Rex wrote:
With subject_prefix I can quite easily tell apart discussions from several
IETF mailing lists, and it works with _every_ MUA with default settings.

The fact that poor, broken, obsolete, or non-standards-compliant
MUAs exist is not a valid reason for inflicting a fundamentally-broken
kludge on the people who have chosen their MUAs with care.

And actually, no, you can't *always* tell those discussion apart,
nor can you tell them from off-list replies...because (a) discussions
which cross multiple lists may carry the subject-line tags from
each list and (b) off-list replies will also -- unless someone takes the
time to hand-edit the Subject line and remove the tag or mark it
[off-list] -- carry the tag.  This is one of the many reasons why
List-Id is vastly superior: it solves both these problems.

For example, consider these exquisite little inconveniences (chosen
from thousands of examples on hand):