Re: subject_prefix on IETF Discuss?

2011-08-12 01:24:14
Barry Leiba wrote:

So the question really goes to the mailman people: can we get an
option to make the prefix inclusion a subscriber option?  Each list
would have a default behaviour, but each user could change it (just as
I now change every list's "suppress duplicates" option when I
subscribe to it, which makes sure my folders contain complete
threads).  That would make everyone happy.

As long as the option goes by mailing list, and everyone has to eat
the preference of whoever sets up the list, we'll have endless and
non-productive arguments (like this one) about it.

+1.

But its not all waste :)

For me, reading these "user support issues" is feed for product improvements to see where what new sysop vs user needs are considered. The Subject prefix was one of them we looked to:

   - minimize the promotion of mail tampering ideas,
   - its less needed today with newer MUAS, and
   - we have new DKIM considerations.

It first appeared be a good and easy candidate for a new user option to override the list setting, but when the code change requirements were looked at, at least for our software (independent list server and smtp server), it was not a feasible feature to implement without multiple design methods to check out and significant code change simply because the list server creates a single 5322 payload for a smart host SMTP connection multi-RCPT distribution.

I guess for an SMTP server that has built-in list distribution and has access to the list membership database, it can do customize payload per member.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com