Re: subject_prefix on IETF Discuss?

2011-08-11 11:26:31
I'm a simple human being that can focus his mind and his eyesight
only on one single thing at a time, so everything has to be serialized
anyway, and no amount of slicing and dicing the stuff will reduce
the amount of processing -- but most of it will incur additional actions
to open it when it is not queued in a single inbox.

Martin, please don't assume that everyone deals with their email the
way you do.  I sort my mail using List-ID header fields, each list's
messages go into a separate mailbox (organized much the way Richard
Kulawiec suggests), and I find it *fabulously* useful and efficient.
Still, I would never suggest that you had to do it that way, nor that
your way isn't useful.  Your way isn't useful FOR ME.  Apparently, my
way isn't useful FOR YOU.  À chacun, son goût, after all.

So the question really goes to the mailman people: can we get an
option to make the prefix inclusion a subscriber option?  Each list
would have a default behaviour, but each user could change it (just as
I now change every list's "suppress duplicates" option when I
subscribe to it, which makes sure my folders contain complete
threads).  That would make everyone happy.

As long as the option goes by mailing list, and everyone has to eat
the preference of whoever sets up the list, we'll have endless and
non-productive arguments (like this one) about it.

Barry