Re: subject_prefix on IETF Discuss?

2011-08-11 10:15:29
On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 07:16:39PM +0200, Martin Rex wrote:
Whereas a subject prefix significantly facilitates tracking of stuff
in a single large inbox.  I'm getting 300+/day Emails and try to read >95%
of it (my company internal Email is completely seperate at ~30/day, though).

Let me start with a preamble: I think that those of us who choose
to "drink from the firehose" by subscribing to many mailing lists
or newsgroups or RSS feeds, especially those with lots of traffic,
have by doing so taken upon ourselves the obligation of finding
and configuring the right tools to make our decisions work for us.
(And in a complementary way, I think those operating those resources,
have taken upon themselves the obligation to run those resources per
spec, e.g. -request per RFC 2142, List-Id per RFC 2919, and so on.)
When everyone does so, things work very smoothly...which is ummm, kinda
the reason that we have these standards.

Now, to the substance of what you've said:

I'm not surprised this presents difficulties: funneling all incoming
mail into one mailbox means that...all incoming mail is in one mailbox.
And while it's still possible to sort, tag, and filter that mail easily
if you have a quality mail client [1] those tasks aren't as easy as
they could be if that mail was in separate mailboxes.

So let me suggest this methodology, which isn't the right one or the
best one or anything like that, just one that works for me.  Decide which
mailing lists are important to you, which are less important, etc.
Use procmail to sort all incoming messages on a per-list basis into
individual files in directories named accordingly, e.g:

        high/outages
        medium/nanog
        medium/ietf
        medium/ip
        medium/infowarrior
        low/funsec
        low/nanog-announce

Now it's all pre-sorted by list, making it easy to peruse any of them,
and all the lists are organized by priority, making it easier to decide
which ones to read when you're pressed for time.  (It's also possible to
clone incoming messages with procmail so that you can also have a
single file that has copies of everything, just in case you want that.)

No need for subject-line tags.  And everything is nicely separated so
that if you choose to search it it's easy to focus on what you want.
This also makes it easy to handle archiving, deletion, and other
mail-related tasks.

---rsk

[1] I use and highly recommend mutt, which is lightweight, pretty secure,
full-featured, extensible, well-supported, works beautifully via ssh,
and runs on all professional-quality operating systems.  It's also quite
efficient and makes many common mail tasks very easy and fast.