Re: subject_prefix on IETF Discuss?

2011-08-11 11:00:24
Richard Kulawiec wrote:

Let me start with a preamble: I think that those of us who choose
to "drink from the firehose" by subscribing to many mailing lists

their hands, or want to use automatic archival and have no desire
to actually process the email they're receiving.

Now, to the substance of what you've said:

I'm not surprised this presents difficulties: funneling all incoming
mail into one mailbox means that...all incoming mail is in one mailbox.

Yes, and that is the most efficient way to perform full processing.
I'm a simple human being that can focus his mind and his eyesight
only on one single thing at a time, so everything has to be serialized
anyway, and no amount of slicing and dicing the stuff will reduce
the amount of processing -- but most of it will incur additional actions
to open it when it is not queued in a single inbox.

And while it's still possible to sort, tag, and filter that mail easily
if you have a quality mail client [1] those tasks aren't as easy as
they could be if that mail was in separate mailboxes.

seperate mailboxes is OK for archiving, but it adds complexity and
costs additional time if the intention is to really process 95% of the
stuff (5% is junk that I delete without opening).

-Martin