Re: subject_prefix on IETF Discuss?

2011-08-12 22:01:43
On Aug 12, 2011, at 10:24 PM, ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

So the question really goes to the mailman people: can we get an
option to make the prefix inclusion a subscriber option?

I confess to being more than a little perplexed as to why you and others think
this idea in and of itself is a useful solution to anything.

If having it be a per-subscriber option (off by default) would aid migration to
a world where subject tags are not commonplace and therefore not widely
expected, that might be worth it.  Maybe having them off by default will
encourage more use of List-ID.

I agree that the problems you mention are real.  As long as the subject tag
were an option, lists supporting it would still need to be able to strip
subject tags from replies.  Replies to messages sent to multiple lists would
still be messy.

Keith