Re: Queen Sirikit National Convention Center

2011-08-09 11:58:32
At 0:56 -0700 8/8/11, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
Nothing is "a reasonable walk" when the average temperature is 32 C.
At least not for the "average" IETF attendee.

(34 in April, 31 in December, lowest nightime temp 21 in December and
27 in April-May-June).

We did APRICOT at this venue in 2002. Not a bad place for a
conference, but most certainly requires transportation to the hotels.

I was there too, for 10-14 days. It was an experience I never forgot. At the time there was considerable road work at a key intersection not far from the venue. I was staying at the Windsor Suites with a room that could see the main entrance of the venue.

Despite the "long way" being about 1 mile, it would take about 45 mins to get from the hotel to venue via a van/taxi. And taxi's were funnier. Although we had hotel cards printed in both English and Thai, the driver always needed an "interpreter" (usually a venue staff member at the door) to read the card back to him. One English-speaking cabbie explained that this wasn't a language problem but an eyesight problem. Most cabbies couldn't see well enough to make out the card's contents. (Including the driver we spoke too.)

At least with the traffic moving so slow you didn't need good eyes to drive.