Re: Queen Sirikit National Convention Center

2011-08-08 13:28:59

--On Monday, August 08, 2011 11:07 -0700 Joel Jaeggli
<joelja(_at_)bogus(_dot_)com> wrote:

We've heard from the community where minimizing our exposure
to visa is should be in our list of priorities. I know of no
previous location, where I involved in the meeting planning
where there were no visa issue.

Joel,

That is exactly my point.  There is probably no where in the
world that is completely free of visa issues for everyone.  So
the IAOC tries to minimize visa aggravation or spread the
aggravation around, weighing the visa issues against others.   I
think they do a moderately good job of it; others might give
them either higher or lower scores.

I think, if possible, we should strive to not have serious visa
aggravation for the same group of people two meetings in a row.
But, because "no visa aggravation, problems, or high fees for
anyone" is going to be rare or impossible, the visa issues with
any given location are just another tradeoff unless the rules
are so severe in practice that almost no one can get it.

I'm willing (indeed happy) to have IAOC sort out those tradeoffs
even though I would prefer that they be a tad more open with the
community about the decisions they are making and why.

   john