Re: Queen Sirikit National Convention Center

2011-08-10 02:42:37
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011, Philip Smith wrote:

When APRICOT comes back to Bangkok in the future (it is a wonderful conference/convention city), the subway will make the location much more favourable, although I think the APIA Board will want to consider other venues too in light of the previous experience with QSNCC.

I would just like to chime in that QSNCC is in an ideal spot in Bangkok, connecting both major public transportation that work very well (MRT and BTS). There are plenty of USD30-40 / night hotels nearby (< 10 minute walking distance) if one doesn't need the more highend ones which would be a few stops away on the BTS.

Low season is april-october, it's warm (35-40C during the days, 25-30C during the nights) and extremely humid both day and night.

Regarding political problems, there is no way to tell beforehand, but having experienced last years problems on-site (I was there march-april) they looked a lot worse on TV compared to actually being there. There was little problem avoiding it, and QSNCC isn't in the areas targeted last year.

So it's more down to if the site works practically to establish infrastructure needed and if there is someone locally willing to sponsor the event, especially with helping out with practicalities.

Flights are plentyful to Bangkok from all over the world, though most flights to/from the US seems to go via Japan.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike(_at_)swm(_dot_)pp(_dot_)se