Re: Queen Sirikit National Convention Center

2011-08-08 13:08:23

On Aug 8, 2011, at 10:35 AM, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Monday, August 08, 2011 09:09 -0700 Joel Jaeggli
<joelja(_at_)bogus(_dot_)com> wrote:

I'm aware of the problem.  I'm also aware that we keep holding
meetings in the US and that some participants didn't find
Canada a whole lot better this time around.   And I'm also
aware that Israeli passport holders have absolutely no chance
of getting visas for some of the locations that have been
discussed recently, no matter how much they participate in
the IETF or how long in advance they apply.  So I'd
personally think that issue should be in the "tradeoff"
category, rather than the "showstopper" one.

Having worked for a company with it's headquarters in Ramat
Gan and it's manufacturing in Penang I prefer to not make my
or someone else's travels more complex than strictly necessary.

Sounds like a worthwhile goal.  Did you have a collection of
places in mind that have the necessary infrastructure for an
IETF meeting, convenient travel connections (however you define
that), a plausible cost structure (ditto).

My employeers have hosted two ietf meetings, QED.

and no visa issues
for anyone who might reasonably choose to participate in the
IETF?

We've heard from the community where minimizing our exposure to visa is should
be in our list of priorities. I know of no previous location, where I involved
in the meeting planning where there were no visa issue.

 Ideally, add "good sponsorship opportunities and likely
sponsors" to those qualifications.  Unless that yields a list of
at least moderate length, I repeat my comment about tradeoffs.

   john