Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-09-20 14:05:37

--On Tuesday, September 20, 2011 14:16 -0400 Leslie Daigle
<leslie(_at_)thinkingcat(_dot_)com> wrote:

Hi,

I had the comments below on a previous incarnation of "how to
fix the IAOC because Chairs are overloaded".

I have to say -- I don't think the substantive points are
addressed in the new proposal, which leaves the Chairs as
spectators to the IAOC process.

I don't think you can disagree with me that, with no vote
(recognized voice) in a committee's work, there's even less
possibility to find the hours to keep up with the substance of
discussions and thus be able to contribute meaningfully to a
discussion when the time comes.

As ex-officio non-voting members, with the main responsibility
for representing IAB and IESG views and needs resting with
someone else, that seems ok to me.   At the same time, I think
you underestimate the ability of the people involved to read in
really quickly if that is necessary/ important.

Substantively -- this takes the Chairs off the IAOC, just as
the original proposal did, and my comments/confusion/questions
below are still current for me.

I think I responded to most of these in a different subthread
earlier this week.   The remarks below are just a quick summary.