Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-09-20 13:16:44

Hi,

I had the comments below on a previous incarnation of "how to fix the IAOC because Chairs are overloaded".

I have to say -- I don't think the substantive points are addressed in the new proposal, which leaves the Chairs as spectators to the IAOC process.

I don't think you can disagree with me that, with no vote (recognized voice) in a committee's work, there's even less possibility to find the hours to keep up with the substance of discussions and thus be able to contribute meaningfully to a discussion when the time comes.

Substantively -- this takes the Chairs off the IAOC, just as the original proposal did, and my comments/confusion/questions below are still current for me.

Leslie.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: I-D Action:draft-klensin-iaoc-member-00.txt
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 18:06:07 -0400
From: Leslie Daigle <leslie(_at_)thinkingcat(_dot_)com>
To: IETF discussion list <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
CC: John C Klensin <klensin(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>

I'm having troubles reconciling a couple of things:

1/ Recent discussion (different draft) on the importance of the IAOC
implementing IETF (and IAB) policy and admin requirements; not having
the IAOC *setting* those requirements;

2/ Suggesting that the IAB & IETF Chairs should not be on the IAOC.

As it stands the IETF Chair is in a unique position to understand all
the requirements of the IETF community and IETF administrative
activities.  There isn't someone else who can step in: all other IESG
members are tasked, as a primary responsibility, with looking after
their particular areas.

The IAB Chair similarly sits at the confluence of all the issues hitting
the IAB, and is specifically responsible for tracking them so that they
get addressed by the IAB.  While the IAB Chair can, in theory, delegate
actions on particular topics, it at least used to be the case that some
tasks are too tricky or unappealing to get other involvement(too admin,
not enough architectural content).  And, even with successful delegation
of individual tasks, the IAB Chair retains the perspective across all
the activities -- technical, IANA, RFC Editor, etc.

I'm not going to disagree that the jobs are heavily loaded, and that
it's a problem for the IETF that the organization relies heavily on
finding a solid candidate for each of these complex positions.

However, I think taking them off the IAOC is *not* the place to start.
  It makes more sense to me to sort out the organizational challenges
(of the IESG/IETF, and of the IAB) that cause overloading of these
positions, and *then* see what makes sense in terms of identifying IAOC
participation.

Pulling these positions off the IAOC would succeed in weakening the
IAOC, even as it increases the stress levels in the positions as the
respective Chairs try to figure out what is going on with the
administrative support for the balls they are trying to keep moving.

My $0.02cdn

Leslie.