Re: Trust membership [Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility]

2011-09-20 16:23:58
Hi Brian,

On 9/21/11 12:09 AM, "Brian E Carpenter"
<brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:
[snip]
The Trust would need to commit to allowing these advisors to join their
meetings too. But that can be done in other ways than the Trust
Agreement.

(so yes, I agree with this line of thought)

Obviously this all assumes there is a consensus for changing the I*
chairs role

...exactly. I'm far from convinced about that. I think the real need is to
figure out how to make the IAOC an Oversight committee rather than it
getting
involved in executive decisions, and to figure out how to make the IAB an
Architecture board instead of getting involved in administrative matters.

I totally agree. In addition, if the people that have been given at least
theoretically highest positions in the IETF leadership would not like to
take the responsibility of the trust, who then would? These people are
trustees in my mind as the puck of responsibility ends at them.

I repeat what I said earlier, I believe the problem is real and needs to
be addressed. I think it is good, Olaf, you brought it up. However, I
believe this is a matter of organizing *internally* in the IAOC rather
than changing the rules. Perhaps they have to hire help, or get even more
of it from the ISOC.

Cheers,

Jonne.

   Brian