Re: A or B [was Trust membership]

2011-09-22 15:10:04
My version of the history is taken from the IAB's own web site,
and it is very specific that the original name was "Advisory"
from 1984 to 1986:

http://www.iab.org/about/history/

Not that it really matters; I just wanted to observe that the role
has evolved over the years.

   Brian

On 2011-09-23 04:42, Lucy Lynch wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Bob Braden wrote:

    1986 Internet Activities Board
    1992 Internet Architecture Board

I think this is incorrect. The earliest IAB was created by the ARPA
program manager Vint Cert in 1981. (In fact, I probably have some
scribbled notes from the first IAB meeting). Vint chose the name
"Activities" to prevent a rush of people wanting to join. ;-)  Its
function was in fact "advisory", to give Vint advice on the technical
course of the Internet research project

I do not recall (without digging into my files) when/if the official
IAB name expansion was changed to Internet Advisory Board.

V Cerf seems to think...

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1120

"In January, 1983, the Defense Communications Agency, then responsible
   for the operation of the ARPANET, declared the TCP/IP protocol suite
   to be standard for the ARPANET and all systems on the network
   converted from the earlier Network Control Program (NCP) to TCP/IP.
   Late that year, the ICCB was reorganized by Dr. Barry Leiner, Cerf's
   successor at DARPA, around a series of task forces considering
   different technical aspects of internetting.  The re-organized group
   was named the Internet Activities Board."

- Lucy

separation.

Bob Braden