Re: A or B [was Trust membership]

2011-09-21 17:01:27
On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 5:32 PM, Brian E Carpenter <
brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

I think this disagreement between two ex-IAB Chairs deserves its own
thread.

On 2011-09-21 17:47, Olaf Kolkman wrote:
On Sep 20, 2011, at 11:09 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

...exactly. I'm far from convinced about that. I think the real need is
figure out how to make the IAOC an Oversight committee rather than it
getting
involved in executive decisions, and to figure out how to make the IAB
an
Architecture board instead of getting involved in administrative
matters.

On the IAB:
I do not agree that the focus needs to be on the "A" of architecture.
There is not a lot that the IAB does that is not in its charter. I believe
that the focus needs to be on the "B" of board. In other words, just as in
the IAOC more oversight. During my tenure we took a number of steps to move
the handy work into programs and initiatives in which the execution of
projects could take place so that the IAB members themselves could oversee
but that journey was far from complete.

The tension between Architecture and Board has existed to my
personal knowledge since 1994, and probably longer. Let's not
forget that the IAB has had three names:

1984 Internet Advisory Board

There was at least one Internet Architecture Task Force meeting, in May
1986, as the Trust holds proceedings for it
(Box C0000118340 of the Trust Archives).

Regards
Marshall

1986 Internet Activities Board
1992 Internet Architecture Board

Maybe it's time to discuss whether the A and the B shouldn't simply
be split apart?

For the IAOC and IAB these will be difficult challenges that cannot be
enforced externally but also need an evolutionary culture change . Not only
in the I* bodies themselves but also how the NOMCOM.

Indeed, and I think that is a more profound issue than just the Chairs'
workloads (which, in case it isn't clear, I definitely agree is a problem
that needs solving).

   Brian