Re: Trust membership [Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility]

2011-09-21 00:47:29

On Sep 20, 2011, at 11:09 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

...exactly. I'm far from convinced about that. I think the real need is to
figure out how to make the IAOC an Oversight committee rather than it getting
involved in executive decisions, and to figure out how to make the IAB an
Architecture board instead of getting involved in administrative matters.

On the IAB:
I do not agree that the focus needs to be on the "A" of architecture. There is
not a lot that the IAB does that is not in its charter. I believe that the
focus needs to be on the "B" of board. In other words, just as in the IAOC more
oversight. During my tenure we took a number of steps to move the handy work
into programs and initiatives in which the execution of projects could take
place so that the IAB members themselves could oversee but that journey was far
from complete.

For the IAOC and IAB these will be difficult challenges that cannot be enforced
externally but also need an evolutionary culture change . Not only in the I*
bodies themselves but also how the NOMCOM.

--Olaf

http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/