Re: Making RFC2119 key language easier to Protocol Readers

2013-01-15 05:21:48

On 15/01/2013 06:16, Dean Willis wrote: ...
Seriously -- at what point does replacing all action verbs with 2119
language make the protocol spec LESS useful for compliance
certification?

Wrong question. What we (the IETF) care about is the existence of
interoperable implementations, not mathematical compliance.

If you ask "at what point does replacing all action verbs with 2119
language make the protocol spec LESS useful for coding interoperable
versions?", I think the answer will be something like "when it makes the
spec so ugly and difficult to read that people get things wrong as a
result."