Re: Making RFC2119 key language easier to Protocol Readers

2013-01-05 10:37:45
Keep in mind only a STD is a "real" standard. A RFC is still only a recommendation, a guideline. What makes it a "pseudo-standard" is the # of implementations, how wide spread it is and foremost IMO, how much embedded it is so that a change has a negative impact. At that point, an RFC not having a STD status probably doesn't matter any more.

At best, you might be able to sue for malpractice (failing to do what most experts in field would be doing) in cases where there is provable harm caused by the neglect to implement a well known practice. But only maybe getting your money back is realistic. :)