Re: Making RFC2119 key language easier to Protocol Readers

2013-01-15 00:19:53

On Jan 5, 2013, at 10:03 AM, John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>
wrote:

And, again, that is further complicated by the observation that
IETF Standards are used for procurement and even for litigation
about product quality.   We either need to accept that fact and,
where necessary, adjust our specification style to match or we
run the risk of bodies springing up who will profile our
Standards, write procurement-quality conformance statements for
their profiles, and become, de facto, the real standards-setter
for the marketplace (and obviously do so without any element of
IETF consensus).

I'm not sure that's not a good thing. Witness for example the work SIP Forum
has done with the SIPConnect standards, which have made it MUCH easier to order
a box that will work with a SIP Trunking service.

--
Dean