Re: Mentoring

2013-03-14 10:25:02
On Mar 14, 2013, at 10:55 AM, Seiichi Kawamura
<kawamucho(_at_)mesh(_dot_)ad(_dot_)jp> wrote:
Don't call them 'newbies'.

The term is not meant to be offensive—I'm sorry that it came off that way.
All of us are newbies from time to time as we wander through the various
working groups in the IETF.   I became a newbie again this IETF.   It's a nice
state to be in if you have the support of the community.

It's certainly true that the attitude of the community is what ultimately makes
the difference, but how do we change that?   I also really like your point
about talking about the IETF with friends.   But I think that there is a role
for chairs and other long-time IETFers to play here.