Re: Mentoring

2013-03-14 08:00:34
On 3/14/2013 7:53 AM, John C Klensin wrote:

(2) Our "newcomers" model doesn't distinguish likely long-term
participants from tourists.  I think we should be welcoming to
the tourists but, in terms of, e.g., scarce mentoring resources,
spending time on them is a bad optimization.  In addition
"newcomer" is really not a one-shot thing.  I don't know how to
identify and create a ribbon distinction between "newcomer and
possible long-term participant" and "tourist" and it is probably
impractical, but a ribbon in a different color for second-time
attendees might be helpful.

If we have (at this meeting) potentially 800 people trying to help 200 people engage, that's still a tall order. Ack.

As was said last night, if someone wearing a "newcomer" badge
seems to be either lost or isolated, approaching them is usually
A Good Thing.  And that principle should apply for two or three
meetings, not just one.

I wonder if the target audience for SOMEthing might be "two-comers" - people at their SECOND meeting.

Spencer