Re: Mentoring

2013-03-14 07:35:13
On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 7:30 AM, Adrian Farrel
<adrian(_at_)olddog(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:
Mary,

I need to check but...

[MB]  What I find interesting is that there was 200+ newcomers, but I
certainly didn't find that many at the meet and greet.  I have to
wonder whether this doesn't have to do with the overlap between Sunday
tutorials and this event.  I think that needs to be fixed.

Very right that it would need to be fixed, but I thought that it was avoided
explicitly and
deliberately. Anyone got a copy of the agenda in front of them?
[MB]
Sunday:

1500-1650  Introduction to RAI Development in the IETF Tutorial - Caribbean 5
1500-1650  IAOC Overview Session - Caribbean 6
1600-1700  Newcomers' Meet and Greet (open to Newcomers and WG chairs
only) - Boca Patio

So, if newcomers want to attend either of the 2nd sessions, they miss
the meet and greet.  In particular, since they are now scheduling
these Intros to Area X during that 2nd slot.  It makes no sense to me.
 I pinged Radia and there was some discussion on the edu list as to
how to work around this - perhaps shortening the tutorials a tad and
maybe starting a tad earlier.

[/MB]

Maybe we could do a little research on why newcomers don't show at this
meeting. Are they tired?
Shy? Unaware? Not perceiving the value?

Adrian