Re: Diversity of IETF Leadership

2013-03-20 07:14:06
Margaret Wasserman wrote:

On Mar 12, 2013, at 2:24 PM, Dan Harkins <dharkins(_at_)lounge(_dot_)org>
wrote:

 I'd love to get out of this rat hole. Perhaps the signatories of the
open letter can restate the problem they see so it isn't made in terms of
race and gender.

The letter specifically mentioned the axes of race, gender, geographic
location and corporate affiliation, so the letter was not only about
race and gender.  Other people have mentioned other pertinent axes in
the e-mail discussion, such as industry segment and background/experience.

I don't think it is possible for remove race and gender from the list of
axes, though, since there is a notable lack of diversity in those areas.

The monetary and time resources necessary to fill an I* position adequately
appear quite significant to me, and I believe it would be hard to fill
them without strong support from an employer which covers the monetary
investment.

Any "lack of diversity" in the IESG/IAB/IAOC of the IETF leadership
is IMHO related to the "lack of interest" in longterm planning in
the majority of management of large companies--those which can reasonably
expect to still be around and still sell products in some area a few years
into the future.

-Martin