Re: call for ideas: tail-heavy IETF process

2013-05-05 04:27:40
On 05/03/2013 07:52 PM, John Leslie wrote:
Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:
On 5/3/2013 7:29 AM, Ray Pelletier wrote:

Provide WG Chairs the monitoring tools they need to be proactive - Action
Tracker, what do I need to do today data tracker  views.  Same for AD.

Same for authors and their mentors, if any.

The IETF already provides pretty good tools.  They could always be
better, of course, but they almost certainly aren't essential.

    That much is probably true.

I would have always hoped to have a tools where I can register the persons who said that they do a review and then get them reminded automatically.

The issue with providing management assistance is to focus on managing
the work.  That's an organizational orientation, not just a tracking
thing.  It's about getting clarity of the work to be done and of getting
folks to do the work of contributing, writing, reviewing, and debating
in a timely manner, and achieving forward progress in a timely manner.

    That much is true.

Few working groups have enough detail to juggle to make this something
that hinges on the tools.

    That, alas, is not true.

    I subscribe to a number of WG lists where they find a issue tracker
_quite_ essential to their work. And to most folks, the issue tracker
output is more confusing than helpful: you're never quite sure which
issue number something belongs under.

I got the same impression. It may work fine for software projects...

    The lists I subscribe to have as work items drafts where nothing
happens until IETF-week deadlines (and sometimes not even then!).

Yup.