Re: IETF Meeting in South America

2013-05-24 13:22:01
On 5/24/13 11:05 AM, Richard Barnes wrote:
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM, joel jaeggli <joelja(_at_)bogus(_dot_)com <mailto:joelja(_at_)bogus(_dot_)com>> wrote:

    On 5/24/13 10:43 AM, Doug Barton wrote:

        While it's unlikely that I would be able to attend, I think
        it's an excellent idea for reasons already better stated by
        others, and BA is a very nice city.

        The only suggestion I might add that I haven't seen mentioned
        yet (and pardon me if I missed it) would be to perhaps
        schedule the meeting to piggy back on one of the excellent
        regional meetings that is already well established. Arturo
        gave a good list, IME LACNIC and LACTLD would be the best/most
        obvious candidates. By running the IETF meeting either the
        week before, or the week after one of those meetings we would
        be able to get quite a bit of cross-pollination, especially
        with the availability of day passes.

    The dates for our meetings are already fixed out to november 2022.

Given that I don't think there are stone tablets involved, presumably they could still be moved if there were a good reason.
The consistent feedback regarding non-conflict as long as I been involved in this tends to indicate otherwise. 18-months to 2 years seems much more reasonable to me personally.

While there are various sorts of force majeure events that could no doubt alter the dates I don't see it as likely that they are otherwise flexible. ieee plenary sessions are scehduled out to july 2018 for example.

http://www.ietf.org/meeting/clash-list.html

is long
It's not like people have already booked plane tickets to BA.

        hth,

        Doug