RE: IETF Meeting in South America

2013-05-24 17:27:26
Carnival is usually around March (I think it moves around being linked to
Easter like Mardi Gras). I priced flights for November and July from Northern
California and it looks like there would be option at less than my travel to
Berlin (and about 2 to 3 times travel to East Coast North America). Travel time
is a longer than for Europe at about 24 hours, but not outrageously longer. I
didn't try to price March because it is hard to get a feel for prices so far in
advance - the airline isn't yet adjusting them for capacity.

Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Michael Richardson
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 7:13 AM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: IETF Meeting in South America

"The" == The IAOC <bob(_dot_)hinden(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:
    The> The venues are in Buenos Aires.  They meet our requirements for the
meeting
    The> space, networking, nearby restaurants and bars, hotel room rates in
the mid $200
    The> dollar range, nearby alternate hotels at a broad range of prices, nice
area in the
    The> city, safe, direct international flights, and accessible visas.  The
IAOC thinks we
    The> could have a successful IETF meeting in Buenos Aires and that
attendees would
    The> like the venues.

My question is about whether we would be there during the "peak" season,
and when exactly is that season?

I priced flights for me in July, November and March (2014).
It seems that most flights go through Santiago or Sao Paulo, one went
through Atlanta.  The lowest cost flight for me is similiar to travel to
Europe not in the summer,  but the price rises quite quickly to the $4K
range.  The worse rise seems to be March, but that was also the furthest
in the future.

    The> Things to consider are that it will be a long trip for the majority of
IETFers and the
    The> air fares are more expensive (about 10% to 20% higher than average),
though
    The> restaurants are less expensive.  This would be a case where most
IETFers would
    The> bear more travel pain and expense.

What are the hotel costs?
(I fund my own attendance)