Re: IETF Meeting in South America

2013-05-24 18:24:23
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 11:04 PM, Arturo Servin
<arturo(_dot_)servin(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>wrote:

        I have been lurking IETF for many years, but it was only after I
went
to my first meeting that I really understood how the IETF worked and how
to really participate.

        After that meeting I started to send comments, read drafts, writing
some initial stuff and arguing. Before that meeting I didn't know how to
do it, and how good or bad my comments would be received. I think it
might be cultural, but before my first meeting I felt a bit intimidated
by the ietf and being flamed by a bad comment.

        I didn't stop feeling intimidated after the first meeting, it took
me a
bit more but definitely it helped me to understand the ietf, its
community and how to participate.

        I wouldn't be surprised if it were many people just like I was,
lurking
the email lists but have never sent anything for the same reasons that I
did.

+1

Couple more obesrevations:

1. I was lurking on the mailing list for sometime before I could get enough
context to even comment. Also much of the content in IETF is trapped in
people's heads. Even after reading the drafts on tools/datatracker AND
following the mailing lists, sometimes it may not be clear why the design
decisions have been made. The archived mailing list format (that can
sometimes help) is not pretty to read or follow. There is not much that can
be dome about it. It is just the nature of email communication. This is
especially true if the area is adjunct (to your domain knowledge) or
somewhat new to you.

2. The directness of communication can be jarring for people from some
cultures where deference and politeness are more important that being
right. The fact that several Asians are contributing to IETF means that
this barrier can be overcome. But it is harder when you do not know anyone
whom you can connect to. Maybe some handholding / mentoring (even remotely)
might help.

There are unfortunately no easy answers for both 1 & 2.

-- Vinayak