Re: financial fun with an IETF Meeting in South America

2013-05-27 16:14:05
On 27 May 2013, at 16:37, John R Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:

Is this above advice from Tripadvisor correct?

I believe so, but when I was there a few years ago for the ICANN meeting,
excess cash was not a problem.  It wasn't hard to estimate how much cash I'd
need, and whatever was left I spent at the airport.  The wine they drink in
Argentina is often better than the stuff they send to the UK (which isn't
bad) and much cheaper.  Take some home in your suitcase, even if you have to
pay duty it's a bargain.

It's not necessarily so easy over the course of seven days. But I guess we
could also just give all our leftover cash to a deserving Argentinian IETF
attendee.  Fernando may like that approach :)

This still doesn't mean I think a meeting in South America is a good idea,
though.  See other messages.

I think Jari's views are spot on. There's a bigger picture question to address,
regardless of the meeting venues, and not just for that region.

Tim