Re: financial fun with an IETF Meeting in South America

2013-05-31 12:55:15
Jorge,

I seriously believe you're overreacting and overrepresenting the actual
view of the people in Argentina. Few, if any, members of the Internet
community in Argentina and neighboring countries share this view, and
almost all of us can't help laughing at the ironic situation where some
people use 'the secret weapon of the imperialist establishment' to
distribute their 'anti-imperialist' message :D. So much for secret weapons.

Not only that. In addition, the Internet and social networks have had a
key role in the recent protests against the government. And since the
electoral vote is split in almost identical 'halves', there are as many
people likely to be against the view described in your URL as there are
likely to be in favour of it.

And since, as Oscar Wilde put it, 'the only worse thing than being
talked about is not being talked about', if our meeting there is public
enough to warrant a public demonstration, it would in the end be a
positive thing for us. We'll have something to remember, like the
flooding in Dallas in '06 :D

But don't brace for it. Those who are into this kind of political
wrangling there have other, of much higher visibility, opportunities to
get their 'message' out than stand outside some hotel protesting against
an obscure gathering of engineers.

regards

~Carlos