Re: financial fun with an IETF Meeting in South America

2013-05-27 01:22:29

The financial and political current situation is more complex than just the
manipulation and restrictions on currency exchange and payment of obligations.

I feel that is totally OT but for example we have supporters of the current
government like this one, claiming to be a writer, that if you are able to read
in Spanish or helped by a translator to read his article, you will learn that
he is propagating a message that says "Internet is the secret weapon of the
imperialism."

http://sumateacristina.net/m/blogpost?id=6438092%3ABlogPost%3A524963

His view is shared by many, so in the event IETF gets to meet in Buenos Aires,
if the meeting becomes public, don't be surprised to see some coordinated
political manifestation.

Funny thing, does he realize what is he using to propagate his message ?

I'd really love to see folks from my country become more involved with IETF,
the opportunity for more outreach and engagement, and also visit my country,
but as Dave said IETF is not in the tourism business and there could be more
effective ways to develop some program with long term effects to drive more
regional participation.

As I said before, just a meeting won't do.

Regards,

-Jorge