Re: financial fun with an IETF Meeting in South America

2013-05-28 16:19:49
Julio,

On 05/28/2013 08:20 PM, Juliao Braga wrote:

If I have to decide about a meeting in Buenos Aires based in the
information that I read in the Brazilian newspapers and magazines I
decide to no.

Could you please provide pointers to such articles? Additionally, could
you please summarize what are your concerns, or what are the concerns
expressed in the articles you've read?

By this reason I need to listen from Argentine people, as
you. I believe this is the right way to decide.

The problem is that when comments are thrown out to a mailing-list
without checking what's the information that is being spread, that ends
up polluting and biasing the discussion unfairly and inappropriately.

As a datapoint, Buenos Aires is *full* of brazillians these days -- I
guess both because we're geographically near, but also because the
exchange rate benefits brazillians (I haven't checked lately, but I'd
bet that you can get most stuff for about 50% or 70% of the price of
what you pay in Brazil).

And I know of quite a few brazillians myself that have recently traveled
to Argentina to attend meetings, and others that are planning to do so
to attend meetings or conferences (Internet and/or security related)
held in Buenos Aires.

As noted in some other emails, I'm not even weighing in regarding the
pro's and con's of having a meeting in Argentina, but rather pointing
out that making public statements regarding based on what has been
"heard", "rumors", or what some idiot posted on a blog pollutes and
biases the discussion unfairly and inappropriately.

Cheers,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks