RE: [IETF] Content-free Last Call comments

2013-06-12 06:18:03
Hi,

I agree with Warren and disagree with Pete on this issue.

Of course, adding more arguments, being more verbose when expressing support is
very useful. However, I consider the brief comments like the one made by Russ
useful - at least in determining consensus. I am actually encouraging such
comments in the WGs I chair. I would like to add an argument, irrespective of
who made the comment (which also counts IMO). Assuming a LC of some sorts
(IETFLC, WGLC) gets only two negative comments. Would it not be useful to know
that it's (2 (negative) vs. 0 (positive)) or (2 (negative) vs. 10 (positive))?
Indeed, we do not count votes in the IETF, but then we also have a problem in
interpreting silence, and for this purpose IMO what in this thread is called
'content-free' actually has a lot of content on this respect.

Regards,

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Warren Kumari
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 8:22 PM
To: Pete Resnick
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [IETF] Content-free Last Call comments

[ Not sure if this is adding to the Signal or the Noise on the Discuss
list, but it *will* help bump up my ranking on the "Weekly posting
summary", which I use to justify my participation to my management.
That's what it's for, isn't it?!* ] On Jun 10, 2013, at 4:37 PM, Pete