Re: Remote participants access to Meeting Mailing Lists was Re: BOF posters in the welcome reception

2013-07-25 03:30:51
Hi,

Whatever the information is used for, or not used for, I think it would be
useful to know the number of remote participants, and where they are located.

Regards,

Christer

Sent from Windows using TouchDown (www.nitrodesk.com)

-----Original Message-----
From: SM [sm(_at_)resistor(_dot_)net]
To: Christer Holmberg [christer(_dot_)holmberg(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com]
CC: John C Klensin [john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com]; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]
Subject: Re: Remote participants access to Meeting Mailing Lists was Re: BOF
posters in the welcome reception
Hi Christer,
At 13:54 24-07-2013, Christer Holmberg wrote:
Why couldn't remote participants register to the meeting like all
other participants?

Remote participation would of course still be free, but it would
allow remote participants to subscribe to the attendee list in the
same way as other participants.

A quick scan of that list shows the following topics:

   - coffee, sims

   - mailing list for IETF women

and the following comment:

   "I'm not sure why I should be required to give my contact information to
    get a document prepared by the Brussels airport for Brussels passengers."

In addition, it would provide better knowledge to IETF about the
number of remote participants, where they are physically located
(which might be useful input when planning future meeting locations) etc.

I doubt that the IETF chooses its meeting location based on where the
remote participants are located.

I'll go off-topic first.  Mr Reschke once asked "I was just trying to
understand *why* the archive can't be at
<http://www.ietf.org/tao/archive>".  Mr Housley replied that "I was
told that we cannot have http://www.ietf.org/tao directed to the
document and also be the directory containing the archive
directory".  Mr Hansen provided some technical details about how that
can be done.  The point here is it might be better to have a good
answer as some IETF participant might deconstruct the answer and find
the flaw in it.

Mr Klensin's message was about how to find out about the 87all
mailing list.  Participants within the inner circle know how to find
it.  The rest of the participants will not be able to find that
information as it is not easily accessible through the
www.ietf.org<http://www.ietf.org>
web site.  There is probably a lack of information about what
information is provided through the ietf-announce@ mailing list.

Regards,
-sm