RE: CHANGE THE JOB (was Re: NOMCOM - Time-Critical - Final Call for Nominations)

2013-10-17 17:15:59
At 12:36 17-10-2013, Adrian Farrel wrote:
Right. Ask:
Do the reviews currently done by ADs make a difference to the quality of
individual documents or the overall canon?

The short answer is yes.  It also ends up as more work for the Area Director.

Would we be happy to publish RFCs with lower quality?

Yes.

Are there other ways to reliably improve the quality (like, for example, the
community doing proper reviews of their own work)?

Yes, there is a DISCUSS position which can be invoked. :-)

Could discussions of Discusses go more smoothly and take less effort?

Yes.  A discussion of a DISCUSS should not generate more mail to iesg@.

Could WG chairs somehow (magically?) take more responsibility and get stuff done
(some chairs do)?

If I was a working group chair under your responsibility and you did not expect me to get stuff done, I don't have any reason to get stuff done.

Note:
A few of my WGs/chairs take most of my management time.

There was a very good WG secretary in your area. If it was my call I would have him doing an EDU tutorial.

Should an AD close a WG with a small number of people doing productive work
slowly?

Yes.

Should we refuse to open new WGs until we have finished other work?

Yes, as it affects scheduling.

Could we reduce the number of WGs per AD by increasing the number of ADs?

No, that would generate too many DISCUSSes. :-)

Should BoF proponents be left to flounder or should an AD help them to get their
work going?

Somebody would have to help them.  It does not have to be an Area Director.

Is a BoF shepherd from the IAB enough?

No, see above.

Could other people from the community fill this role?

Yes. Note that taking the same people and giving them more work is a good reason not to volunteer.

Please do tell us what you don't want us to do, and what you would like us to do
less.

I would like you to work 20 hours a week instead of 80 hours a week. If you ask me whether you can work 21 hours a week because the fate of the free world depends on it, my answer would be "no".