Re: CHANGE THE JOB (was Re: NOMCOM - Time-Critical - Final Call for Nominations)

2013-10-18 22:20:35
Folks,

I should probably keep my mouth shat about this :) ! Looking tot he RTG
area don't we have an Assistant AD, only that we call it the
RTG Directorate Chair? A very proper place to delegate work and assign
responsibility.

/Loa

On 2013-10-18 23:33, Adrian Farrel wrote:
I have asked you and other ADs several times if Assistant ADs would help.
The answer I got was "not really, but a well run directorate really helps.".

OK. Doesn't sound like refusing to consider. Sounds like answering your
question.

So let's take it to the next step because it may be that the current IESG cannot
conceive of how an assistant AD would work.

Can you put up a strawman of the job tasks of an assistant AD that we can work
with to discuss whether this has legs?
Would assistant ADs be appointed and work for sitting ADs, or would they be
NomCom appointments?
Can't an AD already delegate anything they want (except the responsibility)?

Why not double the number of ADs in each area and instead of
every AD reviewing every draft, have 2 ADs from each area
review each draft? (Cut the AD hours in half somehow)

There is mileage in that. I don't think every AD reviews every document. Some
pairs of ADs consciously split the load. Some ADs don't do detailed reviews of
documents in other areas or just focus on specific topics.

But we must get off the idea that document review is the whole of the AD load. I
think it is only around 15-20%. Maybe that rises with pursuit of Discusses
(moral: don't raise Discusses). That doesn't mean that other parts of the load
couldn't be shifted.

Cheers,
Adrian

--

Loa Andersson                        email:
loa(_at_)mail01(_dot_)huawei(_dot_)com