Re: CHANGE THE JOB (was Re: NOMCOM - Time-Critical - Final Call for Nominations)

2013-10-18 10:46:08
On Oct 18, 2013, at 9:45 AM, Andy Bierman <andy(_at_)yumaworks(_dot_)com> wrote:
Why not double the number of ADs in each area and instead of
every AD reviewing every draft, have 2 ADs from each area
review each draft? (Cut the AD hours in half somehow)

I don't review every draft (you can see which ones I didn't review on the
record because I don't state a position if I didn't review the draft).   But
there's a limit to how useful this is—e.g., Brian Haberman has a very different
history and set of experiences in the IETF than I do, so it's not necessarily
the case that we would see the same things in reading the same document (and,
indeed, we usually don't).

So I base my decision to review on more of a triage approach: I review the ones
that I think are most important and most likely to be understandable to me
first, and then branch out from there; if I have time to read them all, I do,
but if I don't, I don't guilt trip about it.   I will almost certainly miss
something important at some point, but that would be true even if I reviewed
every document.

So the problem is that increasing the number of ADs per area might help, but I
don't think it would be linear, so it's an expensive approach.