Re: Revision to Note Well (some history) - updated

2014-02-07 13:46:40
oops - reviewing my logs, it was Jorge Contreras not Geoff Stewart, and John
Klensin was part of
the initial (to blame) group

Scott

On Feb 7, 2014, at 2:43 PM, Scott O. Bradner <sob(_at_)sobco(_dot_)com> wrote:

something that is being missed in this discussion

the old “Note Well” does not do, nor was it intended to do, what people have
assumed it did

the Note Well was developed, starting in about April 2000, to provide
classification
on what should be considered a “contribution” to the IETF - at the time there
was a lot of confusion - some people thought the 2026 IPR rules only applied
Internet Draft submission and others thought it covered mailing list and
microphone statements - the Note Well was developed by me and the then IETF
lawyer,
Geoff Stewart, with the help of Steve Coya and initially discussed at an IESG
retreat.

a common feature of the proposed revisions (the IERTF one as well as the IESG
ones)
is to expand the mission of the Note Well to actually say what you should DO
if you
have IPR that an IETF working group would be better off knowing about

note well that the above is a history lesson for context and should not
discus the
current discussion thread other than to perhaps forestall a return to the
good old
Note Well that was not, by itself, actionable

Scott

On Feb 7, 2014, at 1:39 PM, Scott Brim