Re: Revision to Note Well

2014-02-07 13:21:31
On 08/02/2014 07:39, Scott Brim wrote:
I'm concerned that any abbreviated form will inadequately represent
the nuances of the full policy, and that if we create a single uniform
abbreviated version that must be shown at f2f meetings, that opens
loopholes. For example, possibly: "Well, yes I agreed to the Note
Well, but then in the meeting they showed a different version that
didn't cover X. I thought that took precedence."

There are many ways the full Note Well is dealt with at this time,
most of them good. I don't think you'll get more attention paid to the
IPR policy by showing an abbreviated form.

Indeed, I suspect that many IETF participants simply shut down
their ears as soon as the subject of IPR is mentioned, and click
through the Note Well (and through this thread) without reading.
For them, the form of words is irrelevant. For the ones who take
notice, the form of words is probably irrelevant too, since all
forms ultimately lead to the BCP and that's what counts.

So if there is a basic problem, it's getting people to pay attention
to the topic at all.

I would theorise that the people who ignore the topic actually
find it rather unpleasant and want it to go away.

   Brian