Re: Revision to Note Well

2014-02-07 13:23:22

--On Friday, February 07, 2014 13:39 -0500 Scott Brim
<scott(_dot_)brim(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

I'm concerned that any abbreviated form will inadequately
represent the nuances of the full policy, and that if we
create a single uniform abbreviated version that must be shown
at f2f meetings, that opens loopholes. For example, possibly:
"Well, yes I agreed to the Note Well, but then in the meeting
they showed a different version that didn't cover X. I thought
that took precedence."

I think we are in violent agreement.  That is precisely why I'm
more in favor of a cautionary pointer to the actual rules than
to any "abbreviated form" or "summary".  If we are not in
agreement, I'd really appreciate any hints that would improve my
understanding.

There are many ways the full Note Well is dealt with at this
time, most of them good. I don't think you'll get more
attention paid to the IPR policy by showing an abbreviated
form.

I think I agree but note that someone who "conforms to" the Note
Well rather than the relevant BCPs is likely to either get
themselves in trouble or discover loopholes that permit them to
claim that they followed the rules as they understood them.  The
"full" Note Well is lots better in that regard than the proposed
simplified replacements.  But the reality is that any summary
statements that go very far beyond "the IETF has IPR policies,
they apply, or may apply, to you if any of these conditions (and
maybe some others) are applicable, and, by sitting here and/or
opening your mouth, you have agreed that you are bound by them
and better understand what you are committed to" is likely to be
problematic.  What is notable about that sort of statement is
that it does not try to explain, in summary, abbreviated, or
other form, what those policies are.  It just announces that
there are policies, that they are binding on those who
participate, and, preferably, provides a pointer.

best,
   john