Re: Internet organisations coordination meeting

2014-02-16 15:44:26
On 17/02/2014 09:38, John Curran wrote:
Jorge -

    This particular group of folks gathered and received updates on various
activities
    going on... e.g.  Jari and Russ spoke of perpass.  It is a coordinating
function; so
    we know about major initiatives going on and can support and/or avoid
conflicts
    as appropriate.

    The only reason for the post-meeting statements (in my view) is simply
because
    people were unaware that these periodic gatherings were going on, and
indicated
    that we should be make such more visible.

    Note also that there quite a bit of focus on making sure the most recent
statement
    simply said what happened, i.e.  a gathering of folks received a series
of updates
    from each other on a list of topics of potentially mutual interest.

    As a result, I now realize that W3C is having its 20th anniversary; that
ICANN's
    various strategy panels have been meeting, and that the "Brazil meeting"
is now
    know as  “Netmundial” and has its own website <http://netmundial.br>.   I
don't
    really know what the other leaders (for lack of a better term) took away,
but
    would hope that Jari, Russ, etc. found it useful context and background
for their
    IETF efforts.    I guess that one option would be for the "leaders" from
the IETF
    community not to attend such gatherings, but that seems to be a rather
extreme
    response to take due to lack of a better term than "leader" (and one
hopes it is
    unnecessary so long as care is taken to make nothing more of the meetings
than
    what they are - a gathering of folks hearing updates so we can better
coordinate)

And to be clear, I'm very happy that our Chairs attend such meetings
and report back to the community. I was only quibbling about a choice
of words, and I'm sorry to have obscured the real value of the meeting.

    Brian